Mariel Cartwright grew up surrounded by animation and games, and felt a natural inclination to it, but it wasn't before high school that she decided she wanted to be an animator, as she had before focused more on comics. She studied from 2005 to 2009 in character animation at the California Institute of the Arts, and graduated with a bachelor of fine arts.
At CalArts' job fair, Mariel Cartwright put out some of her arts and was contacted by Matt Bozon and Adam Tierney of WayForward. She first landed a job on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories thanks to Tomm Hulett of Konami. She has since worked on several titles, both for WayForward and for others (notably on Skullgirls and Indivisible as a lead animator, and also art director on the latter). For WayForward, she has notably worked on Shantae: Risky's Revenge as an illustrator and is expected to return to the franchise as an animator on Shantae: Half-Genie Hero.
Mariel Cartwright claims she grew up surrounded by animation and games. Her favourite video game is Final Fantasy VII.
- Mega64 - artworks (4 episodes, 2010)
- ADHD - guest storyboard director/artist (Cloud Goes to the Grocery, 2014)
Art and animation
- Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - artist (2009)
- Barbie and the Three Musketeers - menu artist (2009)
- Batman: The Brave and The Bold - The Videogame - animator (2010)
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - animator (2010)
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge - illustrations (2010)
- Centipede: Infestation - concept artist, cinematics character design (2011)
- Lesbian Spider Queens of Mars - illustrator (2011)
- Thor: God of Thunder - illustrator (2011)
- Mighty Milky Way! - additional animator (2011)
- Bloodrayne: Betrayal - concept art (uncredited) (2011)
- Skullgirls - lead animator (2012-2014)
- Silent Hill: Book of Memories - ending cinematic comic inks (2012)
- Wonder Momo: Typhoon Booster - animator (2014)
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - animator (201X)
- Indivisible - lead animator