Shantae and the Seven Sirens (formerly known as Shantae 5) is the fifth installment of the series. The first part of the game was released for Apple Arcade on September 19, 2019. The full game was released to several platforms on May 28, 2020.
Shantae and the Seven Sirens finds Shantae and her friends on vacation at Paradise Island, where they encounter other Half-Genies, and Shantae is invited to the Half-Genie Festival. However, she soon discovers that things are not as they seem as the other Half-Genies are kidnapped (which the announcer tries to cover up as them being on break). It is left to Shantae to explore the ancient Sunken City and overcome its treacherous labyrinths to rescue the other Half-Genies and find out they were, indeed, kidnapped. Along the way, she discovers new dance moves and instant-transformation Fusion Magic, encounters her long-time archnemesis Risky, who seeks a mysterious treasure said to reside beneath the island, and battles the mysterious rulers of the Sunken City, the titular Seven Sirens. (However, despite the Lobster Siren leaving her group, they are still referred to as the Seven Sirens, and not the Six Sirens)
The game returns to the nonlinear style of the first three entries in the series, following Shantae as she explores an interconnected world with multiple towns and dungeons.
As Shantae rescues the other Half-Genies, she receives Fusion Coins, allowing her to transform instantly into new forms without dancing. Shantae also gains new Fusion Dances with different environment-affecting abilities.
The game also introduces the Monster Cards, which boost Shantae’s abilities in various ways such as enhancing her mobility or strengthening her hair whip. Monster Cards are obtained by defeating enemies, with each type of enemy having its own card. Up to three cards can be equipped at once, allowing players to augment Shantae’s abilities to their preference.
Shantae and the Seven Sirens received "generally favorable" and "mixed or average" reviews on Metacritic getting a metascore of 80/100 on PC, 82/100 on Nintendo Switch, and 70/100 on PS4 & Xbox One.
- Despite Shantae rescuing the other four Half-Genies (Plink, Vera, Zapple and Harmony), we don't get to see them properly do their show for the Half-Genie Festival.
- ↑ Metascore for Shantae and the Seven Sirens on PC, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Shantae and the Seven Sirens on Nintendo Switch, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Shantae and the Seven Sirens on PS4, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020
- ↑ Metascore for Shantae and the Seven Sirens on Xbox One, Metacritic, Retrieved June 18, 2020